Sunday, March 29, 2009

March races are DONE!

OK, guess I'm slipping here. Time to fill in about the 10K and the last 5K.

The 10K - Where to start, the beginning, duh! The morning dawned chilly and rainy, but I said I was going to run it, so off I went. Since this was the ShamRock 'N Roll 5K and 10K, there were plenty o' Irish Eyes A-Smilin'. And quite a few kilts too (thought those were more Scottish than Irish...); anywho, I'd already picked up my race packet the day before, so no need to stand in line once I got there. All I had to do was pin the number on and wait til they herded us over to the starting line. The 5K started first, so we had to stay out of their way when the first few were heading for the finish line. I've no illusions about running, I don't see myself completing 3 miles in under 20 minutes anytime in the foreseeable future lol. So 8:30 rolled around and we were off! A few hundred of us idiots out running in the rain around Atlantic Station in Atlanta on a Sunday morning. And, oh what fun! Hills! Right around the first corner, oh happy day! 3, count 'em, THREE! hills in the first 2 miles, I could've stopped right there. But I didn't, I kept on going, slowing when I needed to, and running when I could. The best part? I got to run those hills, TWICE! I know, I know, I could barely contain my excitement either. This was a 5K loop that those of us hardier (read: stupid) souls running the 10K had to run twice. All well and good, but that last hill on the second round almost got me; but there was no way I was giving in then. I was too close to finishing. And finish I did, a fairly respectable 1 hr 18 minutes and 19 seconds. Now I know there are people that ran the ING Georgia Marathon in less time than that (26.2 miles in less time that it took me to do 6?!?!?!? Holy crap!), but damnit, this was my first 10K, and I am PROUD that I finished! Besides, I was one of the lucky 45,000 able to register online for the Peachtree Roadrace (10K on July 4th) that same day. Yes, I said 45,000! There'll be close to 60,000 by the time all the paper registrations are in, stay tuned for that carnival!

The 5K - Oh joy, another race IN THE RAIN! Serves me right for registering for races in March in Atlanta. I tell you, leading up to this race, my head was saying there was no freakin' way I was going to run in the rain AGAIN. But I knew, deep down, I would; apparently I'm a glutton that way, as quite a few people have pointed out to me (they shall remain nameless, unless they give voice to their snickers in the comments section). So once again, after making sure that the severe weather forecasted wasn't anywhere near the vicinity of the race, I was off. Got to Grant Park about 10 til 9, and the rain was coming down steadily. Great. Ah well, I was sort of prepared for it, as much as one can be knowing they're going to be running 3.1 miles in the rain. Picked up my race number, pinned it on, attached the cute little timing chip to my shoe and headed over to the starting line. And another group of a couple hundred idiots out running in the rain. This wasn't too bad, a few hills, but we were running inside the park for most of it. My time splits let me know I was doing better than I had before, well, at least by mile 2. I did the first two miles in 23:47, which was a first for me. So I pretty much knew I'd come in under the 38:49 I did in Seaside back on the 1st. By how much I wasn't certain, until I made it up that last hill and hit the downward slope and curve around to the finish line and saw the clock at 36 minutes. So what was it when I crossed? 36:11! I would've fallen over if I wasn't still sprinting! Holy crap! I shaved 2 1/2 minutes off my time in 3 weeks! I was NOT expecting that, but I'll take it! WOOO HOOOOO! Yeah! Now I KNOW I can get under 35 minutes by the end of May...I just have to register for another race...or two...or three...or...


As for now, only one scheduled:

7/4/09 - Peachtree Road Race 10K - Atlanta, GA

***Update

4/18/09 - Sweetwater 420 Fest 5K Road Race - Atlanta, GA

1 comment: